STOP READING THIS BLOG!

You've reached the voicemailbox of Nathan Hersey.

Friday, July 22, 2005

new wheels

Some months ago CK found this old steel taiwanese frame in a thrift store. I had originally planned to put it back together as a TT bike, but when I was in River City Cycles they had rear track wheels with flip flop hubs for $85. I splurged for tires, a freewheel as well as a track cog, chain, bar tape and rim tape. I re-used the saddle, hack-sawed the weird triangular time trial bars that where on there and the result is a functional ride any posenger would be proud of. In the first iteration I tried to use the old school pedals with toe clips. A ride around the neighborhood proved getting my toe into the clips was near impossible while pedaling at speed, do to the constant pedal rotation. I snagged an old pair of clipless pedals with wide platforms out of my odds and end drawer, which should be much easier to clip into properly.

5 Comments:

At 7/23/2005 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DUDE!

Those handlebars are weird.

What kind of hub/rim is that rear?

Congrats on the fixie.

 
At 7/23/2005 10:05 AM, Blogger nate said...

Bottom of the line Sun rim and no name hub. The entire project cost about 2 bills, most of that in the freewheel(25)/cog(15)lockring(12) and wheel(85). Mostly I put it together to see if I liked riding fixed around town, upgrading to a moyercycles frame at a later date. Since it doesn't have proper track dropouts I can't ride her in competiton at the local Velodrome. I think that track would be more up my alley than cyclocross especially since the velodrome is really close.

 
At 7/23/2005 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, track riding is fucking awesome.

check out the big M.

 
At 7/23/2005 10:15 PM, Blogger nate said...

AWSOME, Did you do that or have it done, and if so by whom?

 
At 7/30/2005 4:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh dude,

i did it....with some files. and a drill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home