STOP READING THIS BLOG!

You've reached the voicemailbox of Nathan Hersey.

Friday, January 12, 2007

McNaught-Hartley

(It's the white dot in the upper left hand corner.)

Science, science everywhere. Yesterday we had rat dissection in Anat& Phys lab. It was much less disturbing than I thought it was going to be. They must have changed the type of fluid used to preserve them because the smell was much less offensive than I remembered.
This evening I dragged CK out of work early to travel to the top of the west hills. We got a great vantage point from Council Crest park to view the comet. I'd say there were about 300 other people braving the cold like troopers. CK didn't say one word about the cold until the comet disappeared behind the horizon, then she made a bee-line towards the truck and turned the heater on full blast. Comet viewing taught me I need some better optics. My field glasses are woefully insufficient in their magnification and resolution and I don't have a telephoto lense for the Canon. Wifey's gonna have to get another job.
Edit: Maybe not. I've got a machine shop. Large mirrors aren't too expensive. I could design a mid sized reflecting telescope to be optimized for astrophotography at my camera's sensor size. Esmerelda, get cutting!

9 Comments:

At 1/13/2007 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, it is quite overcast here. Here is a possible (albeit expensive) yet rather hard material for constructing a telescope useful in photography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invar

 
At 1/13/2007 8:29 AM, Blogger nate said...

It was a stroke of pure luck to have a clear day in the Pac NW as one of the last days viewing McNaught Hartley would be possible. If it's clear where you live I'd make the trek out tonight, if not she'll be back in 300,000 years!

 
At 1/13/2007 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good girl!!!

 
At 1/13/2007 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe if we off ourselves, we can still catch a ride on the UFO hiding behind the comet.

 
At 1/13/2007 5:07 PM, Blogger nate said...

Does the cult leaders heart race when he realizes there is no UFO, or did he know all along?

 
At 1/14/2007 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a lot of talk up here about how rare it is for us to see any astrological phenomena in the winter, since it's usually overcast.

Your telescope endeavor may still prove pricey, dependent upon size and quality of the lenses you decide to use. Be sure to weigh that against your other options.

Although I can just see an observatory telescope with some guy and his little pocket digital camera pressed up to the eyepiece...

 
At 1/16/2007 7:52 PM, Blogger Steph said...

No one asked so I have to. Who is Esmerelda?

 
At 1/16/2007 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Esmerelda is the new milling machine, of course.

 
At 1/17/2007 8:04 AM, Blogger nate said...

My Mistress!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home