STOP READING THIS BLOG!

You've reached the voicemailbox of Nathan Hersey.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Damn You Scottie Brankel!

I disassembled the Centurion to prepare it for painting. I am indecisive as to whether to take out the bottom bracket and headset or just mask them off(I did take out the bearings). Part of me wants to take them to the local guy to have them off just to throw him some buisness. This is the slow time of year for bike shops.
I decided to go from a 52x19 to a 42x18 to save my knees. I took the big chainring off the crankarm and went looking for my spare smaller chainrings. I found a 9 speed, which won't do because it is too narrow. I must have that one I scavenged off the side of the road in VA, I thought. Then I found a Biopace 42 tooth chainring and began to worry. Oh no, I must have put the chainring I was looking for on the mountain bike I sold to Scott Gundlach(he changed his name a while back). Whatever to do. Stay with the 52? Install the Biopace? Hope the LBS has one cheap and available? Then I looked above me to the answer, hanging from the ceiling. Since I already stole the front wheel from my wifes Fuji, she probably won't miss her small chainring. What's mine is hers and what's hers is mine, after all.
// Bike posts are payback for Sean's uber boring computer posts.

5 Comments:

At 1/07/2006 7:57 AM, Blogger nate said...

P.S. I think a biopace chainring needs to have a Derailleur or a chain tensioner in order to work.

 
At 1/07/2006 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Derailleur. My first mountain bike was a Schwinn High Plains bought in 1987 or so. It too had a biopace. Dad bought a second one a couple years later, which he still uses (for what little mountain biking he does - he almost exclusively road bikes now, at 61). Back to the point - they had the biopace chainring on them, and since it's more oval-shaped, the tension changes too much for a fixed rear to handle it. You would either have it tight on the short side, making it too short to hit the long side, or tight on the long side, most likely resulting in it sagging badly and possibly falling off on the short side. Either way, not very desirable.

My old Trek mountain bike may have a decent large chainring that you could use. It's geared fairly low, so even the big one really isn't that big. I'll check it when I get home tomorrow, if you're interested.

 
At 1/07/2006 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Almost forgot - I at least have a good shot at understanding your technical cycling posts. I can follow Sean's Linux posts for maybe a line before "And Steph call's *me* a nerd"...

Of course, we still hold Sean in the highest regard. You still da man, Sean!

 
At 1/07/2006 6:20 PM, Blogger nate said...

dont worry about it, I wound up getting a 48t chainring from the local bike shop this afternoon.

 
At 1/08/2006 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BAH! You could have used the biopace chainring. If you think about it, chain tension is constant throughout the rotation of the ring because the chain is meeting the same number of teeth. Shimano used COMPUTERS to design it! (I always thought that sticker was funny).

Reference: Sheldon.

Also, you could have used that 9speed chainring. It's the same width as your wifey's chainring. It takes the same width chain: 3/32's. The only diff between 8/9/10spd chains is external width.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home