STOP READING THIS BLOG!

You've reached the voicemailbox of Nathan Hersey.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Fabrique NoPo

I talked the old lady into signing off on the purchase of the machine tools of my choice the other day (at least that's how I remember the conversation going). In no particular order I plan to procure the following:
-table saw
-router
-bench grinder
-milling machine.
I saw an ad on CL for a Jet JMD 18, which should do the trick. I've already have my first three fabs planned out. CK's drum set has these crappy injection molded clamps to attach the drums to the stand, those should really be aluminium. I've never found an acceptable rack for my tourer, and an external frame daypack should be part of my new rack as one of the panniers.
Although she's prolly never seen a milling machine I'll have CK machining away in no time.

4 Comments:

At 12/21/2006 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may want to check out the Grizzly store for your machines. You get a pretty good deal for your money. That's where I went for a lot of my woodworking machines, inluding a contractor's table saw. You can "pre-shop" online at www.grizzly.com, and make a list and drive up to Bellingham WA to do your buying. I don't know for sure, but you might be able to save more by picking it up instead of paying for shipping. They have several table saws, lathes (wood and metal) and milling machines of their own brand. They also carry routers and other tools, but of other brands, like porter cable. Their router bits seem to be a pretty good deal too. Anyways, hope it helps.

Jason Story

 
At 12/21/2006 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Grizzly's mill/drill model G1006 is comparable in specs, but runs about $350 less. For the same price as the Jet JMD-18, you can get the Grizzly G1007 that has all the same specs, but with power feed. They also have lathe/mills, but I don't know if I like that so much, cause if your lathe breaks, so does your mill. However, it might be a space saver.

 
At 12/21/2006 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey that wasn't a christmas gift, that was more like a belated thanks for letting us crash a few months ago. I hope you like the wine!

 
At 12/22/2006 12:12 PM, Blogger nate said...

The price I'm getting the Jet at is less than the G1006, plus he's including his set of table clamps. I purposfully avoided a combo machine for exactly the reason you stated, plus combo's seem to be lacking in some areas where they had to compromise.
As long as the table travel is true (movment in the x direction includes no component of movement in the y direction and vice versa) and there is no rust on the machine I have no problem buying used, but if this guys machine isn't up to snuff I'll be back to the search.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home