STOP READING THIS BLOG!

You've reached the voicemailbox of Nathan Hersey.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Long Term Fiscal Solvency In North Portland: A Case Study

I be Broke (note the capital B). For CK's Birthday I got her what she always wanted: household budget spreadsheets. This exercise was none too soon in coming. After months of net negative cash flow, I can expect to be back in the black sometime in November, if no one needs major surgery not covered by the insurance and the roof doesn't collapse. This assumes I continue to work part time when I go back to school. To add to my budgetary woes, the truck is acting up and the fridge clonked out. It'll be $240 for the fridge parts and labor and the truck repair cost is unknown. It could be a timing issue plus a sticky throttle or it could need an engine rebuild. Either way I can't continue to throw good money after bad to keep it running perfectly. Since my classes are across town I need to know I can get to them every day without fail. For this reason the purchase of a new car is in the previously mentioned budgets.
CK's Birthday was fun times. Since we are so broke, I made dinner instead of going out, then we sat next to the fire pit in the backyard instead of going dancing. I brought home an ice cream cake, only to find the freezer wasn't freezing. Luckily a neighbor had room in their fridge to store it, thereby avoiding melted ice cream tragedy.

7 Comments:

At 8/20/2007 5:55 PM, Blogger Steph said...

If I werent so sick I would have come down. We should come down soon though and take her out for a belated birthday dinner. Her choice.

Sorry to hear about the woes. We are just now getting budgeted and the like. We know what its like to be po. Think of all the dough you'll be rollin in when your done.

 
At 8/20/2007 8:43 PM, Blogger Family Story said...

Think of all the dough you'd be rollin' in if you had stayed in the Navy!!!
Awooogah, Awooooogah... dive, dive.

I report to the USS Ohio (G) on the 29th.

 
At 8/20/2007 9:18 PM, Blogger Flint said...

One of these upcoming weekends, we can tear down your truck as far as you like. Between the two of us, we should have enough gear, tools, and knowledge to do just about anything you want to it, save maybe hoist work.

Need to know the symptoms before I can venture a guess at the problem though. Description implies maybe some loss of compression or severe missing?

And wish your girl a happy B-day from me too. The big 3-0 is creeping up on all of us.

 
At 8/21/2007 6:46 AM, Blogger Steph said...

I could have done without the reminder of the big 3-0. Oh reality, how I hate thee.

 
At 8/21/2007 9:11 PM, Blogger nate said...

EM1 HE HE HE.
I can't quite imagine Jason as a leading first.
As far as the Chevy goes, as soon as I can correctly diagnose the problem I'll decide whether I am going to fix it or not.

 
At 8/25/2007 8:49 PM, Blogger Jorge said...

Well at least you're not in the Navy!

 
At 9/11/2007 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well,
Brokeness is a type of confinement. It is believed that their are two possible cognitive responses to confinement: Shame-resignation or rage. Basically, sad or mad.
You express shame, so you have wrongly chosen the 'sad' option. You do this to protect yourself from the greater issue, which is that your (luridly fiscally endowed) family sux.
In passing, I should mention that money is a 'secondary psychological motivator,' and this fact raises some problems as well.
But back to the majorant premise. Those who accept blame for their confinement seek to adjust to it, those who don't act to superate it.
So there you go, no resolutions, just actions!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home