STOP READING THIS BLOG!

You've reached the voicemailbox of Nathan Hersey.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Husqvarna Manufacturing Concern, Viking Branch

Sewing machine repair doesn't seem very daunting when the cover is on.
Take off the first cover and the genius that is Howe, Hunt and Singer becomes apparent.
This is the lower arm with the backside of the gearing that rotates the bobbin. This was where the majority of the machine clogging lint was found.
This is the front side of the lower arm, with the bobbin assembly removed.
The power plant. It was bogged down by an accumulation of lint and lack of lube.
The belt was loose and the tensioner spring was weak. When I applied more tension by pushing against the tensioner arm with a screwdriver the motor had enough power to make the machine go.


I got some fabric in from Seattle Fabrics in the mail last week. Those cats have a great selection of hard to find materials, but it took over a week for my order to arrive. I broke out the sewing machine, only to find it wasn't in working order. The local Sew N Vac wanted $200 USD to do a clean and inspect, not including any parts. I figured for 200 dollars I could fix it my darn self. I tore it down, cleaned it up with a toothbrush and lubed everything up with some silicon spray. It runs much smoother, but the drive belt and the tensioner spring need to be replaced. I thought that these would be no big deal to procure, this being 'merica and all, but I'm having no luck finding a V belt for a 20 year old Swedish rig.
Today was the first day of class. It feels good to be back in class after a long summer off. I'm at a campus I've never had day classes at. The scene is a lot different on the main campus during the day as opposed to a satellite campus at night, but I still have a night class at the local campus on Tuesday and Thursday nights to keep me sane.

2 Comments:

At 3/01/2010 7:08 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Dude! I have a similar old model that we can totally part! I have two but just the one runs. Viking machines rock man.

 
At 12/02/2010 1:35 PM, Blogger Summer said...

Love that you took apart your machine yourself. I have an industrial and I do more minor fixings. Best part of an industrial is most of it (except that humongous motor underneath) is in the open. Worst part - moving the dang thing is terrrrrible - it's like 400 lbs and the top sits in an oil base. Urgh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home