STOP READING THIS BLOG!

You've reached the voicemailbox of Nathan Hersey.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Leo Fender

Sean is right. I have a wierd Fender fetish. It is manifested by a subconcious desire to surround myself with instruments with grey cloth speaker covers and the tuning knobs all on one side of the headstock. I play a mid 90's Japanese Telecaster through a 100w Fender combo amp. I decided it was time to indulge my secret bass playing desires and spent the weekend tracking down the pieces of a bass rig. I wanted a fretless bass and a seperate head/cabinet (not a combo). I thought a B.C. Rich would be spiffy, but had a hard time finding a fretless one in my price range. I went to a couple of shops and tried out some basses, these trips cemented my desire for a fretless. They just plain play easier, even if I need to be more accurate to get the right intonation.
I swear that I wanted to stay away from Fender crap with this rig, but after scouring the E-bay and Craigslist I came up with the following.
-'88 Japanese Fender Precision Bass(black), re-necked to be fretless with a hard case - $330
-Fender BXR 400 amp. $175
- Manual and Schematic for amp -$10 by snail mail from scottsdale AZ.
- early/mid CBS era Fender 2 X 12" cabinet. $150 (still pending since this dude works swings and I probably won't see it until Thursday).
The cabinet will also work well with my guitar amp. I probably paid too much for the bass, but a new one would be about twice as much and I would still have to come up with the case. I am still happy to be sitting on a new rig for less than 7 bills.

3 Comments:

At 12/06/2005 8:38 AM, Blogger nate said...

you should move out west and we could start a band.

 
At 12/07/2005 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dex, there's a local metal band here in Phoenix called Rez-of-War....three guesses where they're from.

And Nate, a Fender bass amp? Hopefully it doesn't catch fire......

Why fretless?

 
At 12/08/2005 7:04 PM, Blogger nate said...

I enjoyed playing fretless more than fretted when I was shopping around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home